Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sagittarius A-Star

Welcome to Atmosphere42 also known as Electromagnetic Radiation which is just a fancy science word for light, this is my science blog. I've loved space and science ever since I was a little kid so I decided to start a blog about it with my free time in college. 

I'm a first year student attending a university to double major in Biology and English. I'd love to become a high school teacher to teach both subjects. If you want to know more about myself just comment below! My first post is just an introduction about our galaxy. Don't wanna talk your ear off or anything so I'll keep it short.. Happy Reading! Feel free to ponder the existence and the meaning of your life while you scroll through my posts. 

________________________________________________________

We revolve around the sun, so what does our sun orbit? Sagittarius A-Star. 

By the time it takes you to finish reading this sentence our entire solar system will have traveled 12,500 miles per hour around the supermassive black hole named Sagittarius A-Star in the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. One orbit takes 200 million years. 

Say the average person lives to be around 82 years. 
That's 4.1 x 10^-7% (or .00000041) ... a blink in the time of the orbit. 

Science can tell us that we are a blink in time. 
But hopefully some of us share the belief that humans are eternal. What makes you eternal?


The Milky Way View From Space

A Diagram of Our Milky Way Galaxy



3 comments:

  1. Cool post! It's refreshing to remember how small we all are. Do you have any theories or thoughts on parallel universes? I know it's far fetched, but everything is at a certain point. Fun to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for the comment! - Yes, the chance of a parallel universe existing (or many) is definitely a great subject to discuss. This might be a little hard to explain but I've talked to my friends about it before and here's a summary on what we've kinda theorized.

      We know that we exist in time in this present moment. In every single moment that we exist we are making choices and decisions of either actions, words, you name it. Now, here's where it gets tricky. Every single choice that is made, has multiple outcomes.

      So for example, if I chose to leave my house at exactly 7:38pm at night to ride my bike down the street to the store, and a drunk man drove down the same street at 7:39pm hit and killed me, that would be one outcome of the event. One outcome of my choice. BUT! In a parallel universe, I actually chose to leave my house at 7:37pm. This allowed me to see the drunk guy driving down the street two minutes ahead and would give me the time to stop before we could collide. In one universe, I would still exist and I would continue to make choices that over all create a spider web of complex events that weave their web of life intersecting other's lives for the duration of however long I live. It's kind of like the butterfly effect, but each time it takes place in a different parallel universe. So every single event or possibility of events are happening right now, but in a parallel universe.

      Great Question! What are your thoughts? :)

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    Neat blog you've started here; I, too, have always had interests in astronomy/space exploration, and it's nice to see others share that. I look forward to visiting often. (By the way, I found out about this blog via your deviantArt page, so thanks for announcing it there!)

    Another 'by the way'... you have free time in college?!

    ReplyDelete